First let us know what actually Steel-cut oats are. Steel-cut oats are actually made from groats of whole oat, the name steel cut was given as they are chopped into small pieces. By chopping it gets easier to cook the oats as the starch of the oats is directly exposed to water and gets dissolved in water easily. The dissolved starch turns water into a thick liquid rich in nutrients.
Many of us enjoy oat meals when the mood is to have something light. How to cook and oatmeal in an oven to many of us, seemed like an uphill thing to do. But instead it is easiest as compared to other methods. Talking of the ratio, we would suggest 1 cup of steel cut oats with 3-4 cup of water. You can change the quantity of water and oats, and with it the texture of the oatmeal will also change. With more oats you get thicker oatmeal and as you pour in more water it becomes silkier. Try milk instead of water and make oat porridge.
Cooking steel cut oats is easy but it takes time and patience. In this post we are going to share how to cook steel cut oats in an oven.
- 1/2 cup steel cut oats
- ¼ tablespoon butter
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 cup milk
- 1/3 brown sugar
- 1 apple (peeled and diced properly)
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 375 degree Fahrenheit.
- Boil the water in the cooking pot. Make sure to add some extra water as boiling reduces the water quantity.
- Melt butter in a medium sized pot over medium flame on a stove.
- Toast the oats in the pot for about 4-5 minutes until they turn brown.
- It’s time to pour the boiling water into the pot with oats.
- Add cinnamon, apple, milk and salt to the mixture and stir it.
- Pour the mixture in a baking dish (preferably a metal baking dish) and place it in the oven.
- Bake the oatmeal for one hour. After 30 minutes make sure it is not burning. When the top turns brown the oatmeal is ready.
- Top the oatmeal with fresh cream, apples or garnishing of your choice
By this method you can prepare baked oatmeal and serve it as porridge to your children or enjoy them yourselves. Try various garnishing combinations with it and share this recipe on How to cook oat meals in oven. Keep cooking and sharing your experiences with us.