There is a reason behind couscous being the biggest staple for a quick dinner. It is pasta in a grainy form that gets cooked up in no time. If you are master in boiling water, then you definitely can make couscous. The couscous available to us at the local grocery store is instant couscous that has already been pre steamed and dried for customers. The only thing that you have to do is add some water and let it boil.Couscous is one thing that tastes good when eaten along with lamb,chicken or vegetables or with any combination. You can have it with your salad and there are n number of combination that one can try.
The ratio for cooking couscous is 1:1. Less water results in drier couscous, that is very good for salads or can be served with sauces. A little more amount of water makes softer couscous. A cup of dry couscous results in approximately four cups of cooked one.
Now let’s learn how to cook couscous in easy steps.
What Ingredients you need:
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup instant couscous
1 cup water or broth
1-2 tablespoons butter or olive oil
Sauce pan and fork
1. Boil water– Pour water and butter and bring to boil. Use a saucepan for it and boil it to high heat.
2. Stirring the Couscous – Remove the saucepan from the heat and add couscous and salt to it. Stir it evenly and moisten up the couscous.
3. Wait for 10 Minutes –Cover the saucepan with a lid and let the couscous stir for about 10 minutes. If it is still crunchy in taste, let it sit for a while again.
4. Fluffing – Before serving the couscous make sure to fluff it apart gently with the help of a fork.
You are now ready with couscous. We can add some taste and twist to it. Here are some ideas for that also.
- Toasted Couscous – By Toasting you can add more flavor to the couscous. Melt some butter or add olive oil in the saucepan. Stir the couscous with them until it starts smelling toasty. Now boil the water and pour it over the couscous. The remaining procedure will be same as mentioned.
- Spiced Couscous – You can try on spices with couscous to add some more flavor to it. Toasted couscous has a buttery salted flavor to it. Experiment over it with some combination of spices. But make sure you don’t over experiment with it as it will spoil the flavor.
- Vegetable couscous-You can add vegetables of your choice to it. Just boil your vegetables and add them after the couscous has been stirred for a while. Add sauces and spices as per your taste and cuisine you are intending to cook.
This was a short and simple procedure on “How to cook couscous” or instant couscous to be more precise. It’s very easy instead easiest of all to cook couscous and anyone can cook it. In the end one tip for you, if there is sometime in dinner getting ready, cover the couscous and let it sit and then fluff it before serving for dinner.